Sunday, March 22, 2009

Gutenkarte

What a great site! This site is a "geographical text browser" which helps readers understand the geography of literature. For example, I clicked on the link for Pride and Prejudice and it showed a map with all of the relevant places from the novel as well as locations where certain characters (ie. Mr. Bingley) had their estates or property.

If I clicked on "browse," it allowed me to browse through the actual chapters of the book. All of the locations were highlighted and if I clicked on one of them, it would show me a map with that location as well as a list of all the chapters in the novel where that location was mentioned! The actual geographical location was also given by latitude and longitude. In the case of locations that were fictional, there was a general location listed based on descriptions from the novel. I could also click on links which would bring me to a Wikipedia page with a description of that location!

What a great way to bring a novel to life! Students can actively find these places without the boring teacher lecture on where a novel takes place! The only downside is that their catalogue of books is still quite small. I am hoping that they begin to add Shakespearean plays to their list in the near future!

No comments: